Re: [squid-users] Troubleshooting Squid/Network performance

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:52:17 +0200

Gino LV Ledesma wrote:
> Would anyone be able to suggest as to how to troubleshoot proxy network
> performance? For the past few days, our squid caches seem to take 20-30
> seconds t respond from the usual 5-10 second response time it used to have
> some months ago.

Start by performing some basic system performance monitoring of your OS to see
if there is any obvious bottlenecks on the servers themselves.

See vmstat/iostat/sar/top etc..

Now, doing these may be a little bit harder than it needs to be as you most
likely has not established a baseline on what your system looks like while it
works fine, so you will need to learn a bit on what all the OS performance
values/counters represents. If you had established a baseline then you only
would need to look into the values that differ significantly from the
established baseline.

The obvious thing to look for based on your symptom description is if your
systems are swapping.

Basic free Squid support provided thanks to MARA Systems AB
Your source of advanced reverse proxy solutions or customized
Squid solutions. http://www.marasystems.com/products/