Re: [squid-users] hits per second and other benchmarks

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:50:08 -0500

Chad Whitten wrote:
> Thanks. i noticed something when i did this -
> File descriptor usage for squid:
> Maximum number of file descriptors: 1024
> Largest file desc currently in use: 54
> Number of file desc currently in use: 47
> Files queued for open: 0
> Available number of file descriptors: 977
> Reserved number of file descriptors: 100
> Store Disk files open: 0
>
> now before i compiled squid i set the FD_SETSIZE in /usr/include/bits/type.h
> to 8192 but here its saying its only 1024 (and i have ulimit -HSn 8192 in my
> startup scripts). Do i need to recompile squid or the kernel or add
> something else to my startup scripts.

You probably forgot to run ulimit to set the shell limit before building
Squid. You do not need to recompile the kernel with the updated
FD_SETSIZE, but Squid gathers the FD information from both the shell it
is building in and the FD_SETSIZE when building. So if either is 1024
you'll end up with a Squid that will refuse to use more.

Some future version of Squid has an easier method of configuring this at
build time--I think 2.5 has it. But for now that's the way it is done.

Oh, yeah...The phrase "startup scripts" is somewhat vague, so I'll make
it explicit that the script that starts Squid must be where the ulimit
is set. Changes to the shell limits in, for example, rc.local will not
impact any of the other system startup functions (unless they are called
explicitly from rc.local...they may work then). In my case, our Red Hat
systems change the ulimit in /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid, which is the
initscript that runs Squid.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.