Re: [squid-users] Re: Leased line/satellite combo

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:52:26 +0100 (BST)

hi Lionel..

it's true.. not anyone is allowed to transmit any data
without proper authorisation from the communications
governing body in their country.... radio stations, TV
stations.. ISPs and telcos all need to purhcase
licenses from the body.. and not all licenses allow u
to transmit data... ISPs and and telcos have what's
known as the IDG [International Data Gateway] license,
which can allow them to setup an earth station fully
capabale of Tx and Rx data....

receving is usually free, because that can't be
controlled easily.. u probably have DStv, which is a
DTH service, and it's Rx only....

i would suggest u look at Frame Relay... leased line
is good, and data-stable, but quite expensive.. and
since u're doing data, the value recieved from leased
line is not high enough for u to justify going for it
other than frame relay... if u were doing
traffic-sensitive information such as voice, then a
leased line would be a better option.. but data is
bursty in nature.. one minute it's there, the next
it's not... frame relay is suited for that kind of
traffic pattern... since it's not a point to point
connection, bandwidth can be shared, but only in the
most extreme of conditions.. as long as your ISP
guarantees u CIR [committed information rate] of what
u have paid, say 512Kbps, u stand a 99.99% chance that
u will get that at all times... because it's
semi-point to point, u can connect other
branches/offices on your network across the state or
country, for much less the total cost u would for a
single leased line into your own office...

find out from your ISP if they support frame relay,
and if they do, explore that option.. frame relay can
do up to 45Mbps, and will cost u less or more than
your satellite connection, depending on your ISP and
rgeulation issues...

good luck... AKNIT

 --- Lionel Pinkhard <lionelpinkhard@softhome.net>
wrote: > I wish we could afford it, I work for a very
small