Re: [squid-users] Problems with Squid and Intranet server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 01:20:15 +0200

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 23.53, ChrisHoover@safety-kleen.com wrote:
> I'm having severe problems between squid and an intranet server.
> When I try to connect and use this intranet server, the connections
> to it are exremely slow. However, if I turn off the proxy server
> in my bowser, the connections are very fast. Also, if I add this
> ip address to the exception list of IE, then it is also fast. By
> pass proxy for local addresses is checked, but this server is on a
> different internal network then I'm on.
>
> However, I really don't want to have to update a couple thousand
> computers with this fix. Does anyone know of a way to make squid
> ignore this intranet server and not slow down the connections?

Squid cannot tell your browsers not to use Squid for the request. Such
configuration needs to be done in the browser.

What you can do is to try to investigate why it gets slow when using
Squid. A good start is to start by using a browser running on the
Squid server itself and try to browse the intranet server without
using Squid as a proxy.

If this works find then the problem can most likely be solved by Squid
configuration. Try the always_direct,
client_side_persistent_connections and
server_side_persistent_connections directives.

If this browsing directly from the Squid server is slow too then the
problem is networking related, not Squid related. Maybe DNS related.