Re: [squid-users] Blocking specific workstations under DHCP

From: Maarten J H van den Berg <maarten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:21:22 +0200

On Friday 05 July 2002 16:15, Simon Bryan wrote:
> Hi all,
> We need to move our network to use DHCP and at the moment I have
> certain activities restricted to sepcific machines (eg webmail only on
> staff machines) I currently do this via the IP of the machines, is
> there a way to do this via the workstation name (or a better way?). The
> workstations are all W2K, WindowsNT or WindowsXP.

I strongly suspect there is a better way, but failing that DHCP can be
trivially instructed to assign certain IPs to certain MAC addresses.
If your number of clients is not too big, this could be manageable.

Besides, the fact that you start using dhcp does not mean you CAN'T use
static IPs for some machines. The two are not mutually exclusive at all.
But you knew that, I reckon, so...

But, there are probably many other ways...

Maarten

--
This email has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.
Maarten J. H. van den Berg   ~~//~~   network administrator