[squid-users] Blocking specific workstations under DHCP

From: Simon Bryan <sbryan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 00:15:36 +1000

Hi all,
We need to move our network to use DHCP and at the moment I have certain
activities restricted to sepcific machines (eg webmail only on staff
machines) I currently do this via the IP of the machines, is there a way to
do this via the workstation name (or a better way?). The workstations are
all W2K, WindowsNT or WindowsXP.

Have also just had a quick look at DansGuardian and it seems very good and
easy to setup - took all of two minutes to download install and start
running. Are others using this and how reliable is it in blocking
undesireable material - in particular porn? I currently use acl rules in
Squid, but the lists are getting very long and I suspect causing a slowdown
in web browsing...but blocking is important to us as we are a school. ( I
understand that blocking is never going to be 100% effective and there will
always be some that slip through, but it is better than not doing anything)

Cheers,

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramata