Re: [squid-users] An acl problem.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 16:45:29 +0200

On Sunday 07 July 2002 16.10, maillist151@sohu.com wrote:

> I read some manual about the term "REQUIRED" and stilled puzzled
> about the function of the term, can you give me an explanation?
> ( Better give me a example. :-) )

REQUIRED is just a wildcard to match any valid user.

proxy_auth is just a ACL like the others, taking a list of valid
usernames this acl name matches (like dstdomain takes a list of
domains, src a list of ip addresses/networks etc..).

> Another question, I am puzzled about the term "foo" here. Is that
> a username or something else?

A acl name of your liking. Is what connects http_access to the list of
usernames in the acl... has no meaning outside your sqiud.conf.

The names foo and bar are commonly used in examples to indicate
"something of your liking", inteneded to be replaced by a name you
find suitable for your situation.

> I find the meaning of term "bar" is
> easy to understand but I can not understand the meaning of "foo".

No different than "bar". Both are just names of the acl definitions in
the example, to separate the two from each other.

Your squid.conf could just as well read

acl all src 0/0

# Allow VIP persons access all the time
acl vip_users proxy_auth lisa sarah frank joe
http_access allow vip_users

# Other users may only browse during daytime
acl daytime time 08:00-17:00
acl all_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow other_users daytime

# Deny all else
http_access deny all

The above is 100% identical to your configuration, except for changes
in internal names of the acls and the addition of some comments
explaining what the rules does..