Re: [squid-users] Squid very slow after 3 weeks

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 06:25:42 +0100 (BST)

i am running Squid on SuSE 8.0 Pro, which has been
built with kernel 2.4 .. SuSE has pretty much been
converting to kernel 2.4 since SuSE 7.1 Pro ... but i
have noticed on the squid list, that most of the best
performance have been run on kernel 2.2 .. and i have
been running kernel 2.2 on all my SuSE distributions,
including the latest SuSE 8.0 Pro, which comes with
only 2.4 kernels ....

i had to compile source for kernel 2.2.19, and i must
say, aside from running squid in async-io mode, it is
perfect.. performance is good, and it's very very
stable...... i've been running it for the last 12
months between SuSE 7.2 Pro and SuSE 8.0 Pro, both
with kernel 2.2.19-SMP [2GB], albeit SuSE has shipped
kernel 2.4... maybe there's some hope.. :-)..

AKNIT