Re: [squid-users] Round Robin DNS & Squid

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:54:02 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > Is it reasonable to implement this when using authentication? I
> > don't want the user to be prompted for login a second time. Would
> > the browser cache the login credentials for as long as the users
> > browser is open?
>
> Yes, as long as the name of the proxy is the same the browser will
> assume it is the same proxy, even if the IP differs from time to
> time.. (this is the name the browser is told to contact, before being
> DNS resolved).

I have the two systems configured with their real names (proxy1 and
proxy2) and IP addresses and then an alias name (proxy) configured in DNS
to resolve to the two IP addresses of those systems. The only name the
browser would see is the alias (proxy). I assume this is okay?

Thanks for your help!

-Mike