Re: [squid-users] Round Robin DNS & Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:42:15 +0200

On Thursday 11 July 2002 03.59, Mike Diggins wrote:
> I'm considering setting up two Squid Proxy servers with
> authentication in a round robin manner for load balancing until I
> can get a proper L4 switch (or something similar).

See Linux-Virtual-Sever if money is an issue.. very nice.

> Is it reasonable to implement this when using authentication? I
> don't want the user to be prompted for login a second time. Would
> the browser cache the login credentials for as long as the users
> browser is open?

Yes, as long as the name of the proxy is the same the browser will
assume it is the same proxy, even if the IP differs from time to
time.. (this is the name the browser is told to contact, before being
DNS resolved).

Authentication in combination with multiple proxies is only a problem
if you are using proxy.pac files to distribute the users on the
proxies.

> I open my browser and presumably it resolves my proxy server name
> to an IP address. Would it look up this name a second time during
> one session (i.e. before I close my browser window)?

Depends on the browser. Most don't.