[squid-users] Round Robin DNS & Squid

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:59:47 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I'm considering setting up two Squid Proxy servers with authentication in
a round robin manner for load balancing until I can get a proper L4 switch
(or something similar).

Is it reasonable to implement this when using authentication? I don't want
the user to be prompted for login a second time. Would the browser cache
the login credentials for as long as the users browser is open?

I open my browser and presumably it resolves my proxy server name to an IP
address. Would it look up this name a second time during one session (i.e.
before I close my browser window)? Would it obey the TTL? I'm trying to
understand how often any single client would "switch" to the second Proxy
mid session. I haven't used round robin DNS before so this is new to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike