[squid-users] squid and local sites

From: Edward Chase <echase@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:46:27 -0400

When using Squid 2.4 stable 1 and IE6, I'm seeing the following...

If I surf to http://www/, squid is not being used. This is the desired
action for local hosts. When surfing to http://www.providence.edu/, squid
is being used.

I'm not understanding why...

I'm also starting to question why I'm trying not to cache local
hosts... This should be considered a good thing as it will reduce the load
on those machines as well....

One other thing... My firewall has a web interface. I had not made a DNS
entry for this IP address. I attempted to setup rules so that this IP
address would accessed directly. (My machine is allowed to talk to the
firewall, the squid server It did not work when I surfed to it by it's IP
address. I created a DNS entry for this address and I can now surf
directly to it. Can it be done without the DNS entry?

  Edward F. Chase III | echase@studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence College | http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Computer Services |
  Providence, RI 02918 |