Re: [squid-users] squid and local sites

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:15:09 +0200

On Thursday 11 July 2002 16.46, Edward Chase wrote:
> When using Squid 2.4 stable 1 and IE6, I'm seeing the following...
>
> If I surf to http://www/, squid is not being used. This is the
> desired action for local hosts. When surfing to
> http://www.providence.edu/, squid is being used.
>
> I'm not understanding why...

Because your browser do not know www.providence.au is a local site.
See your browsers proxy settings (you may need to go into advanced
proxy settings).

> I'm also starting to question why I'm trying not to cache local
> hosts... This should be considered a good thing as it will reduce
> the load on those machines as well....

Usually the load of your local machines is not a problem. Most people
prefer if local users go directly to local machines without using any
proxy..

> One other thing... My firewall has a web interface. I had not
> made a DNS entry for this IP address. I attempted to setup rules
> so that this IP address would accessed directly. (My machine is
> allowed to talk to the firewall, the squid server It did not work
> when I surfed to it by it's IP address. I created a DNS entry for
> this address and I can now surf directly to it. Can it be done
> without the DNS entry?

Should not be relevant. But your first question may be relevant
here...