Re: [squid-users] Dual Processor

From: Erik Lotspeich <erikvcl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have a unique situation, and I'm wondering if you other Squid users have
some perspective.

I have had the experience of dealing with Apple's new XServe on Mac OS X
Server. Apple includes an HTTP accelerator called webperfcache that
provides extremely fast performance (over 2000 hits/sec on small-size web
pages).

I'm assuming that this performance is due to either the multithreaded
nature of Apple's webperfcache application and/or some kernel hooks.

Squid's performance is about half what webperfcache is on Mac OS X and
only slightly better than Apache (Squid is in http accelerator mode of
course). Your previous discussion on this thread has revealed that even
in async-io mode, Squid will not significantly benefit from multiple
processors.

Are there any development plans to make Squid more multi-processor
friendly? With Apache 2.0 coming into widespread usage with its own
accelerator and proxy cache features, is Squid still a viable option?

I apologize if this has already been discussed before or if this message
is way off topic.

Thanks,

Erik.