[squid-users] 301 Moved Permanently: bug?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Jul 2002 16:16:26 -0700

I think i stumbled over a bug in squid-2.4, but i'm not sure.

- proxy: Squid/2.4.STABLE2 on Irix
- browser: IE 6.0 on WinME
- webserver: IIS 5.0 (i think it's on NT)

I'm trying to troubleshoot a Web application. When the users go to the
website directly, everything's fine. When they go through the proxy, it
doesn't work, it gets stuck at some point.

I watched the traffic with Ethereal in both cases.

A) When the browser goes directly, everything's fine, of course.
1. The browser asks for server/script?params
2. The webserver says "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently to
server.domain.sgi.com/script?params"
3. The browser asks for server.domain.sgi.com/script?params
4. The webserver returns the page. Everyone's happy.

B) When it goes through the proxy, this is what happens:
1. The browser asks for server/script?params
2. The proxy talks to the webserver, and then replies back to the
browser: "HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently to
server.domain.sgi.com/script?params" but also it's adding
"Proxy-Connection: close"
3. After like 0.1 seconds, the workstation sends a couple of ACKs to the
proxy
4. After 9 more seconds, the workstation sends a couple of RSTs to the
proxy.

This is the last useful packet (from proxy to browser):

HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0