RE: [squid-users] What hardware should S

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:07:00 -0400

Erik,

        I would suggest starting with at least half of what the high-end of your
budget would allow. Then you can get the system up and running and make
adjustments up, if needed. Of course, I am imagining that you are looking
into using commodity x86 compatible hardware. If you are looking at
higher end proprietary systems, I am unable to offer any advice.

        I do know that you never want to spend too much money; then again you
also never want to sell your network short. If you find that half of what
your high-end of the budget will be adequate, spend a little more on some
extra RAM to account for unusual bursts of usage and also to leave a
little room for growth.

        You may want to consider using multiple machines peered to one another,
that setup is quite commonly recommended on this list for sites that have
around 500 users. Of course, that need would highly depend on the
critical nature of net access for your site. If it is something that can
be done without for a few hours to a day, then one or two machines will
be adequate.

        Good luck.

Regards,
Robert Adkins