RE: RE: [squid-users] What hardware shou

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:14:00 -0400

Erik,

        Based upon the number of users that you have mentioned, I would consider
at least two machines with Dual processors and at least 2GB of RAM in
each machine. At least two Hard Drives should be in each system as well.
One hard drive; will be for the Operating System and the other hard
drive; for the Squid Cache and log files.

        You may wish to consider very fast SCSI drives, although the price will
increase drastically. Although, with 8000 users, I am certain that you
have more funds available for this task than I do.

        Having more than one NIC installed in the machine could also prove to be
very useful. One should be configured for the external network connection
and the other should be configured for responding to client requests.
This can help alleviate any bottlenecks that you might have.

        Other than that, there isn't anything else that I can think of as being
a very important need. The rest of the system can be built pretty much
how you would feel comfortable with it.

        Good Luck,
        Rob

>Another question, what means "network short" in your reply?

The term "Selling <something> short" means to go with much less than you
actually need to get the job done.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer