[squid-users] Re:Re: RE: [squid-users] What hardware shou

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:44:11 +0200

On Saturday 13 July 2002 06.10, maillist151@sohu.com wrote:

> The average band with of our university is about 20Mbps, and
> the highest band width is about 35Mbps. We use MRTG to get the
> result. The two numbers seems stable for the last two months.

Is all of that web traffic that should be proxied by Squid, or is
there other traffic as well that won't involve Squid?

What is the expected bandwidth that will be proxied by Squid?

> The second question, I want to keep Squid cache as much as I can.
> Maybe for more than 3 years.

3 years of 20 Mbps is not realistic on any budget.

20 Mbps is roughtly 2MByte/second. Assuming you have a bursty usage
making the link ca 33% used on average over the day this is ca 56GB
per day. Counting low with only 40 weeks of activity per year, 5 days
per week this is 11 TB of content per year..

Assuming 30% of the content is cacheable and stays in the cache it
still is 3.6TByte per year..

Note: Most people find that the increase in hit ratio diminishes after
about 1 week worth of cache..

available on request