[squid-users] restrict access by IP

From: John Szkudlapski <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:24:13 +0100

Hi All

I was asked a question by a staff member the other day, which was : -

'can this room be denied from accessing the internet, when we ask? - i.e
when we have exams....'

I replied, 'YES', I can do it via Zenworks (Netware) and remove the icons to
netscape/ie (although if the user create a HTML file, they are instantly
taken to the application) :(

so I was wondring if I created an acl, which pointed to a file
"/etc/squid/acls/roomf7.dat"

i.e

acl roomf7deny -i "/etc/squid/acls/roomf7.dat"
http_access deny roomf7deny

which contained the ip addresses that I wanted to deny @ that time... i.e

192.168.3.55/255.255.255.255
192.168.3.56/255.255.255.255
and so forth

could I get squid to deny the IP's that are in that text file from getting
out onto the web? or does anyone know of a way that we can acomplish this?,
bear in mind that we dont have any authentication to the box, it's
configured to only allow connections from our Local LAN...

Regards

------------------------------------
John Paul Szkudlapski (Web Manager)
Computer Services - BSFC
t: +44 151 651 3720
f: +44 151 653 4419
m: +44 780 154 2033
w: http://hermes.bsfc.ac.uk

Birkenhead Sixth Form College

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only;
If it has come to you in error please notify compserv@bsfc.ac.uk

The contents of this e-mail are the personal views of the sender,
which may not necessarily reflect those of the college.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
The college cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses
which may have come from external sources.