Re: [squid-users] differences in versions

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 03:20:08 -0500

Boosten, Peter wrote:
> # Development software changes. Sometimes unexpectedly, or wrongly.
> # That's why folks who aren't able to tolerate said changes
> # should stick
> # with stable software. ;-)
>
> Hmmm, I need functionality from 2.5 (NTLM).

Enjoy the ride. ;-)

> # Some of the developers felt sbin was the right place for it.
> # The logic
> # for such a choice is pretty solid. I think it was right to make the
> # move. So the answer to that one is: sbin is a better place
> # for it, so
> # the binary was relocated.
>
> And it stays there?

As far as I know. I can think of no strong arguments against the move
to sbin, and many for it. I expect it will stay. I believe all of the
developers who had an opinion stated it when the change first happened,
and it wasn't reverted at that point and no one strongly favored
reverting the change, so I can't think of anything that would make it
change.

> # rid of the
> # old and brings in the new--while keeping my configuration files. No
> # clutter. Perhaps tracking the development Squid isn't the
> # best choice
> # in your case if it is causing such troubles?
>
> It's no trouble at all, just annoying.

So you figured you'd share your annoyance with all of us, so that we too
could be annoyed? ;-)

Have fun and rest easy in the knowledge that Henrik (as most of us know,
Henrik does all the hard work around here these days) didn't change any
of those things to bug you. He did so to make Squid better, more
consistent, or more comprehensible, in some small way.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.