RE: [squid-users] differences in versions

From: Boosten, Peter <Peter.Boosten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:56:42 +0200

# Development software changes. Sometimes unexpectedly, or wrongly.
# That's why folks who aren't able to tolerate said changes
# should stick
# with stable software. ;-)

Hmmm, I need functionality from 2.5 (NTLM).

# Some of the developers felt sbin was the right place for it.
# The logic
# for such a choice is pretty solid. I think it was right to make the
# move. So the answer to that one is: sbin is a better place
# for it, so
# the binary was relocated.

And it stays there?

#
# Cluttering? Where are you installing your Squid? If I install
# something from a tarball, it goes in /usr/local/package-name,
# so I can
# blow it away easily if it gets too 'cluttered' for me. If I install
# from RPM (which I always do with Squid), an 'rpm -Uvh' gets

I'm not using Linux, and there are no such things as RPMs for OpenBSD. I
always install from source, with the same config-options. When doing a make
install, I like to minimize the impact for my users and don't throw away the
hole target directory before installing.

# rid of the
# old and brings in the new--while keeping my configuration files. No
# clutter. Perhaps tracking the development Squid isn't the
# best choice
# in your case if it is causing such troubles?

It's no trouble at all, just annoying.

Thnx for your answer.

Peter

Disclaimer
1. This e-mail is for the intended recipient only. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone
else is prohibited.

2. If you as intended recipient have received this e-mail incorrectly,
please notify the sender (via e-mail) immediately. This e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. DSM does not guarantee that the
information sent and/or received by or with this e-mail is correct and does
not accept any liability for damages related thereto.