[squid-users] chrooted Squid & unlinkd Problems

From: Roman Dörr <rdo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:48:08 +0200

Hi all,

I've got a small problem running squid without getting
some error messages like these in my syslog every now
and then:

  ctx: enter level 0: '<someURLhere>'
  unlinkdUnlink: write FD 10 failed: (32) Broken pipe
  ctx: exit level 0

Back when I had this problem the first time it appeared
that the RAM needed replacement, but by now that I've
redone the whole machine and the problem persists.

I checked the cache.log and found an interesting msg:

  ipcCreate: /chroot/squid/libexec/squid/unlinkd: (2) No such file or
directory

Ok, obviously I had a little configuration error. As you
might guess "/chroot/squid" is tthe directory I've chroot-
ed squid into.
I changed the unlinkd path to "/libexec/squid/unlinkd" in
squid.conf and tried again. Same error message, except
the /chroot/squid-part was gone.

Considering the problems I had with /etc/icons and
/etc/errors I figured a symbolic link from the outside to
the inside of the chroot-jail could do the trick:

ln -s /chroot/squid/libexec/squid/unlinkd /libexec/squid/unlinkd

Calling the binary through the link worked out ok.
Permissions of the directories set to 750, user root and
group squid. Squid is supposed to run as user squid and
group squid, too. :)
Same for the directories within the chroot-jail.

Yet, it still doesn't work. It keeps telling me it couldn't
find unlinkd. I've tried the usual "it must work"-emergency
test by simply changing permissions to 755 (not daring
enough to make it 777 as it should be unnecessary anyway),
but to no avail.

Couldn't find too much about such issues on Google either.
Nothing that would have helped at least.

Does anybody got an idea what might be the cause and
how to get rid of it? And I'd really like to keep the
chroot, too. :)

with kind regards,

Roman Doerr