[squid-users] memory only caching

From: Prakash Khemani <khemani@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:48:33 -0700

I have Squid Version 2.4.STABLE4 running on freebsd 4.4. I want to use
it as a small but fast memory only HTTP cache. I don't want the squid
cache to hit the disks for any reason or at least I want to make sure
that the disk hits are as few as possible. Also I want to avoid using
MFS or other RAM based disks because I want to avoid filesystem
overheads. I don't mind if the squid cache has to rebuilt itself every
time it is started.

How can I do that?

Can I do it by configuring squid.conf somehow? The following parameters
look like a possibility to me ...

maximum_object_size
The help says that "Objects larger than this size will NOT be saved on
disk." What if I make this value 0 KB? That I guess will turn off disk
caching, but will it also turn off memory caching?

cache_dir
what if I configure
cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache 0 16 256
Since the cache size is specified as 0 MB will this prevent squid from
using the disk as a cache?
Or
cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache 100 16 256 read-only
Will the above directive prevent squid from writing to the cache?

Can I disable all logging by saying
cache_access_log none
cache_log none
cache_store_log none