Re: [squid-users] memory only caching

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:13:02 -0400

On Friday 26 July 2002 02:48 am, Prakash Khemani wrote:
> How can I do that?
>
> Can I do it by configuring squid.conf somehow? The following parameters
> look like a possibility to me ...

cache_dir null /tmp

The directory must exist (even though it won't be used) and the null store
io must be compiled in.

> maximum_object_size
> The help says that "Objects larger than this size will NOT be saved on
> disk." What if I make this value 0 KB? That I guess will turn off disk
> caching, but will it also turn off memory caching?

0 may set no maximum size, but I'm not sure. Set
maximum_object_size and maximum_object_size_in_memory to the same size.

> cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache 0 16 256
> Since the cache size is specified as 0 MB will this prevent squid from
> using the disk as a cache?

This will probably be an error.

> cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache 100 16 256 read-only
> Will the above directive prevent squid from writing to the cache?

That might do it, but it will still need the directory structure in place,
which you don't need in null type.

> Can I disable all logging by saying
> cache_access_log none
> cache_log none
> cache_store_log none
> cache_swap_log none

In 2.4, access log would need to be /dev/null. This is fixed in the 2.5
betas.

        -- Brian