Re: [squid-users] SQUID 2.4STABLE 6 and 7 strange CPU usage

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:01:52 -0500

I would disagree. There is no fundamental difference in the core of a
Celeron that makes it unsuitable for high demand work. A Celeron at
1GHz today is a far more powerful CPU than the PII 300MHz CPUs that were
in use just three years ago in high end Squid machines.

A Celeron is a fine choice for many server situations, as is the AMD
Duron. A smaller on-die cache (the only major difference between the
Celeron/Duron and the PIII|P4/Athlon) makes very little difference to
the performance of Squid, as Squid isn't really the type of workload
that benefits from a large on-die cache. I've benchmarked a 1GHz PIII
against a 1GHz Celeron, and the performance difference was about 5%.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.