Re: [squid-users] SQUID 2.4STABLE 6 and 7 strange CPU usage

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:59:37 +0100 (BST)

i think it's because u are running a Celeron.. in my
experience, with using Celerons on UNIX and Windows, i
have discovered that the processor does not operate
cleanly.. once in a while, it will shoot up to maximum
use, even when nothing is happenning..

Celeron is really not intended for hard work like what
squid is doing.. it's not that reliable.. it's mainly
for single-user, single-task, operating systems, such
as Windows 9x/ME.. to use it on UNIX or Windows 2000
would not yield the kind of performance u're looking
for...

going for a Pentium or Athlon would give u better
performance, at even a lower cycle rate than the
Celeron...

good luck..

AKNIT

 --- Marc-Christian Petersen <m.c.p@gmx.net> wrote: >
Hi there,

> I've noticed since STABLE6 of the 2.4 branch my
> squid uses ~ 30 % of CPU every
> 30 seconds for ~ 5-6 seconds even if squid is doing
> NOTHING. I've checked
> this with stable6 and stable7. I also checked
> stable5 to be sure and stable5
> does not use 30% CPU if its doing nothing.
>
> What could this be? Any experiences?
>
> It's a Celeron 800MHz, 256MB mashine running Debian
> SID.
>
> Compiled with:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/squid \
> --enable-useragent-log \
> --enable-referer-log \
> --enable-snmp \
> --enable-time-hack \
> --enable-cache-digests \
> --enable-auth-modules \
> --enable-arp-acl \
> --enable-err-language=German \
> --enable-underscores \
> --enable-delay-pools \
> --enable-http-violations \
> --enable-async-io \
> --enable-poll \
>
> --enable-storeio=aufs,coss,diskd,ufs,null \
> --disable-ident \
> --enable-icmp \
> --enable-removal-policies \
> --enable-linux-netfilter \
> --with-pthreads
>
> --
> Kind regards
> Marc-Christian Petersen
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wolk
>
> PGP/GnuPG Key: 1024D/569DE2E3DB441A16
> Fingerprint: 3469 0CF8 CA7E 0042 7824 080A 569D E2E3
> DB44 1A16
> Key available at www.keyserver.net. Encrypted e-mail
preferred.