[squid-users] Looking to build a high end squid server.

From: Guy Fraser <guy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:08:16 -0600

Hi

I need to build a new squid server.

I need the server to easily support up to 8 Mbps throughput from many
simultaneous connections.

I need to support wccp.

I am thinking about posibly moving to a single fast Athelon or P4 processor
with about 1GB of ram running on FreeBSD. I am replacing a dual processor PIII
650MHz machine with 768MB Ram.

I have 5 scsi drives on a dual port Adaptec 3940 scsi controller; 1 18GB drive
for the system and logs, and 4 9GB drives for spool. The machine is running
linux, with customization for up to 8192 fd {file decsriptors} and wccp.

My questions are :

1) Would FreeBSD be better than linux due to the dynamic fd allocation?
2) Is there any reason I should not use an Athelon over a P4?
3) Is DDR ram good enough or do I need to get RIMM's?
4) What are some good server boards for Athelons or P4s?

The case I will be using is a double wide {16.5"} by 21.5" tall and 20" deep
server case with 11 installed fans and dual 400W ATX swapable power supplies.
The case will take ATX style Mother Boards up to 12" by 16" {9 slots}.

The Mother Board must support automatic startup after power loss and start
without a keyboard attached.

Any additional suggestions are welcome.

Guy Fraser
Network Administrator
The Internet Centre
"Where the Commercial Internet, in Alberta, started. - Sept. 13, 1993"