Re: [squid-users] Looking to build a high end squid server.

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 22:14:12 -0400

On Thursday 01 August 2002 08:08 pm, Guy Fraser wrote:
> I need the server to easily support up to 8 Mbps throughput from many
> simultaneous connections.

Depending on the 'value' of the traffic, load balancing across a trio will
protect against a server failure.

> I am thinking about posibly moving to a single fast Athelon or P4
> processor with about 1GB of ram running on FreeBSD. I am replacing a
> dual processor PIII 650MHz machine with 768MB Ram.

Will this be enough memory? I deal with reverse-proxies, so others may
know more. More memory is always better.

> My questions are :
>
> 1) Would FreeBSD be better than linux due to the dynamic fd allocation?

Linux has ReiserFS, though. I think you'd do fine either way, so go with
what you know.

> 2) Is there any reason I should not use an Athelon over a P4?

I've had good luck with Athlons. YMMV.

> 3) Is DDR ram good enough or do I need to get RIMM's?

Given squid's random access patterns, RDRAM's high latency will, if
anything, perform worse.

> 4) What are some good server boards for Athelons or P4s?

Consider 1 proc in an SMP board, for more memory capacity. AMD's MPX
boards have done well for us.

> The Mother Board must support automatic startup after power loss and
> start without a keyboard attached.

This has been available on boards for quite awhile, but it may not be the
default setting.

        -- Brian