Re: [squid-users] Looking to build a high end squid server.

From: Andrew Veitch <andrew.veitch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:10:12 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Brian wrote:
> Depending on the 'value' of the traffic, load balancing across a trio will
> protect against a server failure.

FWIW, our local cache system is based on a trio of backend servers fronted
by the LVS software. The backend systems are Linux based, with 512MB RAM
and Pentium III 700MHz processors, configured with 16384 file descriptors.

This configuration services peaks of ~25Mbps of traffic on a daily basis,
using 6x9GB SCSI discs as backend storage with ReiserFS.

The JWCS is a similar type of configuration, but with beefier machines, and
more of them :-) One of our JWCS clusters saw peaks of 120Mbps of traffic
earlier this year.

--
Andrew Veitch, JANET Web Cache Service / Manchester University Cache Support
mailto:andrew.veitch@man.ac.uk                       http://wwwcache.ja.net/