Re: [squid-users] New user and alredy with problems....

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:05:45 -0500

GAldoHnos wrote:
> Hi... Im speak spanish, so im gonna remember my studdies from school ( i do
> not remeber nothing)

Your english isn't so bad. It's certainly better than my spanish.

> The Problem: I can not run squid normaly.
> When i start my linux the service send an ok status. But when i do a "npam
> localhost" the default port of squid thasnt appear.
> And when I restart the service it cannot stop, the system send my a FAILED
> report, like when i restart my linux.
> the squid.conf its the original.

I'll assume you've installed from an RPM, since you've described the Red
Hat style initscript startup stuff...Since that is the case, ordinarily,
nothing needs to be done to the config file to get it running (it will
automatically initialize the cache_dir on first start, and the RPM sets
up the correct directory permissions).

Since that is the case, something went wrong, somewhere, and you'll need
to track it down. The first place you'll want to look is the cache.log.
  On Red Hat systems, it lives in /var/log/squid/cache.log.

> and, maybe i don understand well, why when i do a "ps -ax" after run squid,
> the last command its a httpd? (Its apache running as proxy? i also have
> apache running but only for a web server, no as proxy)

No. Squid is not the same as httpd. You Squid clearly isn't running.
You've got to find out why. If the cache.log won't tell you, there are
a few other things you can try, but I think most of them would lead to
errors on the console when running the initscript, since if Squid can't
write to the log she complains to standard out.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.