[squid-users] profiling squid

From: Prakash Khemani <khemani@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 03:35:07 -0700

How do I go about profiling squid on FreeBSD?

I have compiled squid with CFLAGS="-pg -Wall" and LDFLAGS="-pg". But I
am not able to make the main squid process call the exit() function.
Squid -k "shutdown|kill" I guess simply kill the process. And because
squid exits without calling exit() I don't get the squid.gmon file.

I have configured squid with null cache_dir, turned off logging where I
could, and redirected logging to /dev/null where I couldn't turn it off.
Still squid performs much worse (at least 10 times worse) than a simple
dummy cache. With dummy cache I am able to get 8000+ Gets/sec
(saturating a 100Mbps link) while with squid I only get 1400 Gets/sec. I
was curious to see where the time was mostly being spent.

Thank You,
Prakash