RE: [squid-users] Outlook Web Access 2000 will not work with squid??Tried suggestions in archives, no luck...

From: Rick Harris <rickfharris@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Aug 2002 17:08:37 +0930

Hi Paul,

I was most interested in your problem as posted.

Looking at http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~pwh/owa-squid.jpg this is
exactly the sort of problem I had recently with Squid-2.4-Stable6.

It only seemed to happen on certain sites, usually sites with large
pages & either a lot of images or frames or both. I also noticed that
the more I loaded up the cache with requests in quick succession, the
worse the problem got, suggesting to me some sort of bottle-neck. Most
of these sites also were .asp pages, I don't know if this had any impact
or was just coincidence.

However, I have since fixed the problem & so have posted below how I
fixed it. This may not work for you, but if you're at your wits end as
to how to fix the problem, any ideas are better than none. So is worth a
shot I think.

First thing I did was to try upgrading to squid-2.5-pre10. This made no
difference whatsoever.
However, sticking with 2.5 and after some heavy reading I re-built squid
with the following options:

./configure --enable-linux-netfilter --enable-cache-digests
--enable-arp-acl --enable-htcp --enable-icmp --with-pthreads
--enable-gnuregex --enable-async-io --enable-store-io=ufs,aufs,diskd
--enable-removal-policies --with-aio --with-dl

make
make install
make install-pinger

The squid.conf I left as default as possible & only made the following
changes:

Made the cache size 200MB & changed the cache storage method to use
'aufs'
cache_dir aufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 200 16 256

Allowed access to the local network(pretty obvious)
acl our_networks src 192.168.0.0/24
http_access allow our_networks

Changed LRU to 1 month
reference_age 1 month

That's it.

Think it may have to do with using 'aufs' for the cache filesystem.
http://squid.visolve.com/squid24s1/glossary.htm#filesystems writes:
"asyncronous I/O (diskd/aufs) is beneficial for single drive
configurations with "higher" request loads, in many cases allowing you
to push about 100% more I/O thru the drive before latency creeps up too
high"

Diskd would be the next one to try.

As soon as I revert back to plain 'ufs', the old gremlins start creeping
back.

System specs:
Slackware 8.1 using 2.4.18 kernel
500MHz proc. w/384MB RAM
20GB HD
Serving 2 other PC's on a NATed LAN

NOTE - Even though this a NAT set-up, I haven't configured squid to be a
transparent proxy as recommended, as it seems to work terrific as it is.
It also allows the NATed boxes to go direct if squid fails.

Hope this helps.
I could be way off the mark here, but a sysadmin I ain't. :)

http://digital.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Digital How To
- Get the best out of your PC!