Re: [squid-users] proxy.pac vs manual proxy + LiveLink

From: Donovan Baarda <abo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:42:08 +1000

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:51:56PM -0700, Deb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've searched the archives and received no mojo...
>
> Set-up:
> =======
>
> Squid Cache: Version 2.4.STABLE2
>
> We've been using squid and a proxy.pac for a long time, while some
> folks use a manual entry pointing all accesses directly at the proxy.
>
> Both browser configurations have worked flawlessly. Until
> now. My very simple test proxy.pac currently looks like this:
>
> function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
> {
> if (isInNet(host, "127.0.0.1", "255.255.255.255") ||
> dnsDomainIs(host, ".my.dom") )
> return "DIRECT";
> else
> return "PROXY nnn.nnn.nnn.nn:3128;"
> }
>
> Where the IP address matches www-proxy.my.dom.
>
> The Problem:
> ============
>
> A user complained to me that they were unable to log in to
> a LiveLink server when they use the proxy.pac. HOWEVER, if
> they use the manual setting, point directly at the proxy server
> and port 3128, they can log in.
>
> I have verified this behavior with the above proxy.pac, and the
> manual setting.
>
> 1. Using proxy.pac (no worky) - there is a CONNECT message in
> access.log:
>
> 1028835421.884 338 nnn.nnn.nnn.nn TCP_MISS/200 922 CONNECT livelink.some.dom:443 - DIRECT/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -
>
> 2. Using manual proxy config (which works!) - there is __No__
> message in access.log

I suspect the problem is the manual config is specifying a http proxy, but
not an ssl proxy. As this is an https request, it would go to your ssl
proxy. If the ssl proxy is blank, it would go direct.

I think your proxy.pac above specifys your proxy for all requests, including
https requests. It looks like the livelink site does not like its https
connections going through a proxy, or perhaps you have some firewall problem
preventing the proxy from using ssl properly.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key