Re: [squid-users] banner ads (again?)

From: Mike Hoskins <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Mike Hoskins wrote:

> But I'm wondering if I can simply maintain a local hosts table like the
> one maintained/posted here:
> http://ssmedia.com/Utilities/hosts/
> And have Squid essentially 'strip' banner ads from office LAN surfers'
> browsing. Do I need to do anything to Squid, or will this work by simply
> keeping /etc/hosts up to date on my cache server?

OK, so apparently something does need to be done to Squid..

Searching the Squid archives doesn't turn up any examples of what I'm
trying to do, surprisingly. Using the squid-cache.org mailing list search
page, I only find these relevant hits containing useful information:

JunkBuster reference, not what I want (more overhead):
http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108&L=squid&P=R5653

Seems most relevant ('redirector_access?'):
http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0005&L=squid&P=R28482

With the host list from ssmedia in /etc/hosts on my Squid server, and
Squid restarted, banner ads are still served to clients.

A specific example: Going to www.freshmeat.net serves the banner from
fmads.osdn.com, although it is pointing to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts on the
caching server. Browser cache has been cleared.

What do I need to add to my squid configuration? I do not understand
'redirector_access' if that is the key, and searching squid-cache.org for
that term returns 0 results.

My clients are configured via proxy.pac. My proxy.pac defines
127.0.0.0/24 as a local network. Since it is local, it should be served
via direct connect. Caching server should do hosts table lookup, and find
that foo.ads.com is mapped to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts, and return nothing
for the ad graphic... Or so I thought. Does anyone do this, or can
anyone offer config snippet/manual reference for doing something similar.
(Either returning nothing for ads, or mapping ad URLs to a 'banner
removed' type graphic, as referenced in mailing list archives... But
again not exemplified.)

Later,
-Mike

--
"Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not wisdom, Wisdom is not
 truth, Truth is not beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not music