Re: [squid-users] banner ads (again?)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:12:31 +0200

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 23.51, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> > But I'm wondering if I can simply maintain a local hosts table
> > like the one maintained/posted here:
> > http://ssmedia.com/Utilities/hosts/
> > And have Squid essentially 'strip' banner ads from office LAN
> > surfers' browsing. Do I need to do anything to Squid, or will
> > this work by simply keeping /etc/hosts up to date on my cache
> > server?
>
> OK, so apparently something does need to be done to Squid..

You already have a list of domains, so put this into a dstdomain type
ACL.

Then use the deny_info_url patch to Squid-2.5 to set up deny_info to
redirect the requests to a small image..

You might get away without the deny_info stuff, but some sites using
layers etc can screw up if receiving a error message rather than a
image..