Re: [squid-users] refresh_pattern and forcing "gifs" to be cached

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:43:49 +0200

Joao Clemente wrote:

> 1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> 2 Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
> 3 Cache-Control: no-cache
> 4 Expires: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:33:33 GMT
> 6 Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:33:33 GMT

Typical "cache busting" configuration. The server is configured to explicitly
deny caching of these files.

Send them a copy of the "Caching for webmasters" document, and convince them
that caching of static content like images etc is for their own good.

> HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
> 1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> 2 Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
> 3 Connection: keep-alive
> 4 Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:03:07 GMT
> 5 Content-Type: image/gif
> 6 Accept-Ranges: bytes
> 7 Last-Modified: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 05:00:00 GMT
> 8 ETag: "048e26e8939c01:f5f"
> 9 Content-Length: 91
>

> This one also does not get cached. And it does not get cached because it
> does not have and Expires header, I think. Once again, this one has
> Last-Modified date from so long that it could be cached.

It should be cached subject to your refresh_pattern setting.. what does
store.log report for this object?