Re: [squid-users] refresh_pattern and forcing "gifs" to be cached

From: Joao Clemente <jpcl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:33:22 +0100

> Typical "cache busting" configuration. The server is configured to explicitly
> deny caching of these files.
>
> Send them a copy of the "Caching for webmasters" document, and convince them
> that caching of static content like images etc is for their own good.

As I couldn't find the webmaster for those pages, I mailed the company that created the site, and pointed out the web link for that documentation... lets see what happens now..

Anyway, in these particular situation, do you agree on getting a regular expression for this site overriding the no-cache directives?
Or even so, you don't think it's wise?

> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
> > 1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> > 2 Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
> > 3 Connection: keep-alive
> > 4 Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:03:07 GMT
> > 5 Content-Type: image/gif
> > 6 Accept-Ranges: bytes
> > 7 Last-Modified: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 05:00:00 GMT
> > 8 ETag: "048e26e8939c01:f5f"
> > 9 Content-Length: 91

> It should be cached subject to your refresh_pattern setting.. what does
> store.log report for this object?

Well, doing a grep to my store.log I get a huge bunch of lines like this one:

1029326544.541 RELEASE -1 FFFFFFFF 1EF6E42E709ADFAF3452770D41DBC13C 304 1029326543 -1 -1 unknown 0/0 GET http://webmail.dad.be/exchange/forms/nextmsg.gif

--
 There is a very thin line between being selfish and having the freedom to
 choose what's best for me...