[squid-users] Forwarding Denied problem

From: Gino LV.Ledesma <gino@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:39:25 +0800

Hi,

        This problem has bothered me for a short time. I've read the FAQs
2x over and searched Google for some answers but haven't come across one
yet. We have a proxy pool of 3 servers, all configured to be siblings
with each other, with 1 additional proxy that has the above 3 as
parents. It uses CARP to divide the load among the boxes.

        Recently, we tried to analyze a problem of proxy latency. Surfing
the net on the box was significantly faster, whereas a client accessing
the proxy (inspite of being "netographically" close -- same switch) was
rather slow. We tried pulling one proxy box from the siblings to act as
a stand-alone proxy to isolate the problem.

        In doing so, we commented out all traces of cache_peers pointing to
the stand-alone proxy and restarted all daemons. The config file on the
stand-alone proxy removed all traces of cache_peers as well, and its
ACLs were loosened up.

        However, when clients try to use the stand-alone proxy, they
receive a page informing them about "Forwarding Denied. This cache will
not forward your request because it is trying to enforce a sibling
relationship. Perhaps the client at 10.2.53.1 is a cache which has been
misconfigured." We have an ACL that allows any host from 10.0.0.0/8 to
access the proxy. Correspondingly, this is the entry in the log:
1029903983.167 2 10.2.53.1 TCP_MISS/403 1057 GET
http://www.versiontracker.com/ - NONE/- -

        Am I missing something, or is it just some weird/crazy problem with
the ACLs?

        Sorry if this question has been addressed in the FAQ or previous
messages here -- I must've overlooked it.

Gino LV. Ledesma
Ateneo Campus Network Group
Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Philippines