Re: [squid-users] WCCP questions

From: Mohsin Khan <aaghaz00@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

A-o-a

          Just a little simplification, (Sorry to
henrik), router redirects WCCP packets, to a
Linux/Unix machine, the machine decapsulate using GRE
module(mind it squid do not do it), than these packets
are transfered to squid, through any redirection
package(ipchains,ip-filter,ipfwadm,ipfw bla!bla!)

router---(WCCP
packets)--->machine---(GRE+Ip-filter)--->squid running
on machine
--- Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
> WCCP requires the proxy server to be able to
> decapsulate WCCP GRE
> frames, and I have not seen a WCCP GRE module for
> Solaris. In addition
> to WCCP GRE decapsulation the proxy server also must
> support packet
> interception as required for transparent proxying
> (this is available on
> Solaris via the IP-Filter package). You are probably
> better off
> switching to Linux of FreeBSD here.
>
> To Squid WCCP redirected requests is just requests.
> The same access
> controls and redirection apply.
>
> Regards
> Henrik
>
> Joseph Solinsky wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > Forgive the naivete of this question, but I'm
> working with my network people
> > to cut costs, and we are looking to use a Cisco
> router to issue WCCP
> > requests to Squid (running on Solaris 8), instead
> of using a CSS to route
> > requests to Squid as a transparent proxy. If I
> need to switch off Solaris,
> > I think that's okay, too.
> >
> > I wanted to know if this can be done. Further, do
> the WCCP requests go
> > through the same ACLs in squid.conf, and are they
> also subject to the
> > redirector (that's an important part of what we
> are up to)?
> >
> > Thank you for your help,
> >
> > Joseph Solinsky
> > Cybrix Corporation
> > jsolinsky@cybrix.com
> > (952) 843 5432 x229

=====
Regards,
Mohsin Khan
CCNA ( Cisco Certified Network Associate 2.0 )