Re: [squid-users] Help getting squid configured

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:55:18 -0500

You say, "I know this is true", and then proceed to say that you want a
magical solution anyway.

Again, Squid is operating at the application layer. You /cannot/ do
what you're asking within Squid--you /can/ do what you're asking by
allowing clients (or causing clients) to bypass Squid for that one site.
  I'm sorry you need to access a site that won't allow proxied
connections--if you need to proxy all connections, and access this site,
you'll need to take it up with maintainers of the problem site. Squid
cannot accept the connection, and then not be a proxy--when Squid
accepts that connection the proxy is already in the path, and all Squid
could ever do would be to close the connection or make the request on
behalf of the client. Closing the connection will cause and error,
making the request means the request is proxied.

Let's review:

Squid is an application level proxy.

Squid can either proxy the request or close the connection. It cannot
route the request untouched because it has already conversed with the
client by the time the request is known.

If a site cannot be proxied, then you need to get the proxy out of the
loop for that site. A proxy proxies, it doesn't route.

Them's the breaks, Chris. You've already mentioned the solution:
"Otherwise, I will have to have a special exception added to the
firewall"...Yep, that's what you have to do. Or not use the site that
won't allow proxied clients to use it (or talk them into fixing their
site--proxies are a legitimate part of the internet, and the person that
ought to be dealing with this problem is the maintainer of the site that
won't allow a proxy to access it).

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.