Re: [squid-users] Using Squid as a library

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:59:47 +0200

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 01.04, James Gallagher wrote:

> I'm interested in adding caching to some programs I have that act
> like HTTP clients (they use HTTP to access servers that return
> non-HTML responses). Anyway, I'd rather not have to develop a
> HTTP/1.1 compliant cache myself and was wondering if the Squid code
> could be used as a library instead of a standalone daemon?

Not easily. And even if you could the GPL licensing of Squid is
sticky, forcing any program doing so to be GPL licensed if licensed
(for free or charge) to anyone but the author himself.

There is however several HTTP/1.1 libraries and some of them include
primitive forms of caching. One well known example is the W3C libwww
reference HTTP implementation, but there is several others if you for
some reason do not like the W3C reference library.