Re: [squid-users] Using Squid as a library

From: James Gallagher <jgallagher@dont-contact.us>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 08:48:18 -0700

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 00:59, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 01.04, James Gallagher wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in adding caching to some programs I have that act
> > like HTTP clients (they use HTTP to access servers that return
> > non-HTML responses). Anyway, I'd rather not have to develop a
> > HTTP/1.1 compliant cache myself and was wondering if the Squid code
> > could be used as a library instead of a standalone daemon?
>
> Not easily. And even if you could the GPL licensing of Squid is
> sticky, forcing any program doing so to be GPL licensed if licensed
> (for free or charge) to anyone but the author himself.

Well, my code is GPL'd, so that's not a problem, But I guess that `Not
easily' was my first impression after looking over the code.

> There is however several HTTP/1.1 libraries and some of them include
> primitive forms of caching. One well known example is the W3C libwww
> reference HTTP implementation, but there is several others if you for
> some reason do not like the W3C reference library.

I've used libwww and switched from it because I needed a library that
was thread-safe. I'm using libcurl, but if you know of other libraries,
I'd really like some more suggestions. I'm thinking of using the HTCache
code from libwww but that will require significant mods; maybe another
library will have a cache implementation that's simpler to adapt.

Thanks,
James

James Gallagher		         The Distributed Oceanographic Data System
jgallagher@gso.uri.edu
http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods
Voice: 775.337.8612					 Fax: 775.337.2105