Re: [squid-users] Using Squid as a library

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:16:55 +0200

James Gallagher wrote:

> I've used libwww and switched from it because I needed a library that
> was thread-safe.

Then Squid is defenitely out of the question (the Squid code is not at all
thread-safe).

> I'm using libcurl, but if you know of other libraries,
> I'd really like some more suggestions. I'm thinking of using the HTCache
> code from libwww but that will require significant mods; maybe another
> library will have a cache implementation that's simpler to adapt.

You seem to have covered the ones I have used, but there is a couple of other
libraries.

* KDE includes a communication framework for fetching content, including
HTTP/1.1 and many other protocols. This is most likely a threads-safe
environment.
* I think Gnome also includes such a library.
* Mozilla includes a HTTP library. Used by some applications. I don't know if
this is threaded or if it is using "Netscape Threads" psuedo-threading.
* If you want to program in Java then there is several libraries..

Freshmeat also lists several HTTP libraries..