Re: [squid-users] Hi,

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:43:10 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Michael Watts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just been checkin my squid logs and was wondering if it's possible to
> get the source IP to resolve to to a host name. So instead of having
> 192.168.0.1 it would resolve to the host (DNS) name of the machine
> making the request.

I am guessing squid does that to save time. The IP address is immediately
available from a getpeername() call. To return the name would require a
lookup, thereby delaying the logging and slowing squid down. Do you really
want to do that?

> Better still is it possible to get the logs to display the username
> logged into the Windows machine without having to set up squid to use
> user/pass authentication.

Where would squid get the username if there's no auth goin on?

Colin