Re: [squid-users] http://www.loopholesoftware.com/

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:29:45 +0930

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:56:52PM -0700, Billy Macdonald wrote:

> So I'm reading slashdot and see an add for this Loophole product and think
> hmmm doesn't seem good so I visit their page. Does anyone know how to block
> this traffic? I'm going to dig further tomorrow and tonight and maybe install
> the trialware to test.

-From the documentation it looks like it is tunneling the data over a
HTTP connection. The client handles proxy authentication and it looks
like the software manufacturers have gone to some lengths to help hide
the user's activity. It would appear that this quite simply broaches
the firewall concept, the perimeter now moves to the home machine and
my cynic bone knows how good that will be.

I really fail to understand why a person at work requires a mechanism
to enable them to use their own DSL/cable connection from a work
machine.... shouldn't they be doing something like working? Perhaps I
have been the BOFH for too long.

--
Brett Lymn