Re: [squid-users] Partial error page with IE6

From: Daniel Barron <adsl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:37:16 +0100

In message <f0303f6d4b.adsl@jadeb.com>
          Daniel Barron <adsl@jadeb.com> wrote:

[snip]
> I tried making is 30Kb but no effect - it still comes through partially.
>
> Always 1128 bytes no matter what I put in the error page.
>
> I agree that it's probably a bug in IE, but in the real world lots of
> people use IE and this bug happens with the very latest IE. Coders of web
> appliances such as myself have to bow to the majority and include work
> arounds for buggy browsers. Don't take me wrong - I mean no offense!
>
> Have you any other ideas of how to solve it? Is squid possibly closing
> the connection before its flushed? Or is it that IE can't handle an
> error more than 1128 bytes on SSL?
>
> I suppose I could make a small error page that has a meta tag that
> redirected the browser to an error page on the web server and include a
> check for that destination in the squid.conf so it specifially allowed it
> and did not create a loop... Don't you just love the quality of microsoft
> code (!)

This is interesting - I've investigated further.

Take any version of squid (I've tried two different ones) and configure
IE6 to use it as the proxy for all protocols.

Now try and access:

https://somewebsite.withareaonsable.long.name.com:446/

446 is not a safe port so you'll get a warning. You might find that the
error is truncated if its long enough. I found it removed part of the
hostname at the bottom of the page and </BODY> etc was missing.

You might need to increase the error page by 1024 bytes to see the problem
as I found my older squid 2.4stable6-6.6.2 (RH) had a maximum size of
830 bytes not 1128 like the later version.

This is a completely and easily reproducable bug (probably in IE) but it
exists non the less.

--
Daniel Barron
(Visit http://dansguardian.org/ - True web content filtering)