Re: [squid-users] Squid/Network timeout troubleshooting

From: Gino LV.Ledesma <gino@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:05:31 +0800

> Did the server respond to ping? If not you almost certainly have a
> hardware/kernel problem.

There's a shell script from another box that monitors other servers
through a variety of tools, one of them being ping. ping responds with
reasonable response times (well within the "normal" range), but
attempting to connect to 3128 results in either timeouts or, worse,
rejections. There are times when ping packets are dropped, though.

> Were you able to login to it and see what processes were running?

Logging in through the console, no problem, remotely, sometimes slow,
though not unbearably slow. The only processes running were squid and
unlinkd, and the usual linux processes (init, xinetd, etc). No other
services running, as it is a relatively "trimmed down box" (128MB RAM,
4GB HD, 300MHz processor, 2x10/100 3Com NICs, etc).

> 100-200 connections per minute is almost nothing for a non-caching
> Squid proxy. You should not need to tweak any parameters or much
> memory at all (a system with 64MB would probably do fine.. unless if
> there is other services on the same server requiring a lot of memory)

Which is why its surprising. I checked the logs recently and squid was
complaining about running out of file descriptors. This is surprising
(to me, at least) considering its a none-caching, proxy-only box. The
logs also complain about the parent proxies being "dead" (although they
really aren't). I'll check the file descriptor problems again tomorrow
in the parent proxy boxes, if there ever are some.

Which is the right way of setting FD limits at runtime? I added ulimit
-HSn 8192 to /etc/rc.local, /etc/init.d/squid, and /etc/profile, but
squid "still complains" about running out of FDs. If I can't figure it
out by tomorrow, I'll probably modify the kernel headers and increase
the limit.

Thanks.

Gino LV. Ledesma
Campus Network Group