Re: [squid-users] Group Authentication

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:27:08 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arun Shrimali" <arun@banas.guj.nic.in>
To: "Squid Users" <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 8:28 AM
Subject: [squid-users] Group Authentication

> Dear Friends,
>
> I am using RHL7.3 with Squid 2.4 and PAM authentication.
>
> I am using PAM authentication for many other application, thus I
> don't all to users to access internet through Squid proxy.
>
> Is it possible that, I make a group "Internet" whose member would
> be the user whom I want to access internet. Thus how to make the
> authentication against group "Internet".

What are you using PAM against? LDAP, NT, ...?

If there are no PAM group tools for auth source, one option I use is to keep
a text file updated with group members via a cron job and use pam_listfile
to limit who gets access.

The better option for squid is to upgrade to Squid 2.5 and use the new
external external_acl helpers. 2.5 comes "out of the box" with NT, LDAP,
and unix group helpers. Writing a perl helper for anything else is pretty
trivial.

Jerry