[squid-users] Squid and Single Sign On

From: <fathi.engineer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:37:51 +0100

Last week I lost all my keys. I wish I had one single key for
everything, this could allow me to not loose it.

This led me to have this strange idea:

Is it possible to configure squid in http_accel with virtual
host mode and have it authenticate to different name based
virtual hosts running on apache ?
Some of this web sites use username/password authentication,
while others are public.
What I want is: once and only once one site have requested
user to authenticate himself, squid will request the
username/password to the user (as ususal), store them in a
secure way and each time the user goes to another web site,
squid will use this credentilas to authenticate him against
this new site, without requesting the user to enter his
credential again.
So mainly, can squid act as such a single singon server/proxy
and authenticate to certain web servers on behalf of the
user ?
If so, does apache need to be configured to request basic or
digest authentication ?
I think if this is possible with apache, it could be also
possible with any other httpd like tomcat or others.

TIA
Fathi Ben Nasr