Re: [squid-users] Squid and Single Sign On

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:02:50 +0200

Squid understands the URL syntax

  http://user:password@server/path/to/file

and will automatically translate into a Basic HTTP authentication when
forwarding the request to a origin server.

What this means is that you can easily use a redirector helper to add
login information to forwarded requests.

What is missing from your proposed approach is the "session" concept
unless you are using some kind of authentication at Squid. What
defines a "user", and how to connect this with "what login+password
to use for this site"?

Blindly forwarding authentication of one site to another is not wise
from a security point of view. Such forwarding should only be done if
explicitly enabled for the sites in question.

If using Squid as an accelerator infront of your servers then a
number of other possibilities are available and quite nice things can
be done. See for example our eMARA product line.